And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Some interesting observations here:
- Giving testimony is very important. Peter testified about Jesus—that he had seen the risen Saviour with his own eyes.
- Three thousand people accepted Christ. This happened in one day. This happened when the Holy Spirit filled the disciples and spoke through them.
- The apostles continued to be steadfast in their witnessing, fellowship, eating together and in prayers.
- Many great things were done through the apostles because they were in one accord and they had surrendered to the Holy Spirit.
- They had a lot in common and they sold their possessions and they gave to those in need.
- They continued daily with one accord.
- They ate their food with thankfulness, in humility and praised God.
- God added to the church daily
We have the first church, which started with the disciples, and then in one day, the membership increased to three thousand. God continued to increase the number. There are people out there who need to hear the Word of God and if just church members got together and with one accord went out and witnessed to people wherever the Spirit led them God would add to the church people who are being saved. God is the One who increases the membership not us. We allow the Holy Spirit to speak to the hearts of people through us and they respond.
One thing that always impresses me is that God could evangelize the world by Himself and the work would take a short time but He wants us to be partakers with Him in winning souls. It must have thrilled the apostles to see so many people surrender their lives to Christ. They must have rejoiced and praised God. And their faith must have increased. When God uses us to witness to others, we should rejoice and thank Him for all these opportunities.