In Acts 20:28, Paul said, “Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the chuch of God which He purchased with His own blood.”
Paul tells us the following:
- keep watch over ourselves and over all the flock
- it is the Holy Spirit who places the flock in our care
- be shepherds of the church of God
- Jesus purchased the church (us) with His own blood
Paul issues these two warnings:
- “For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.” These are outside influences coming into the church to corrupt it.
- “Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.” Here we have people inside the church speaking things that could draw others away from God’s truth. In my former church there were such people and I was warned to stay away from them.
Ellen G. White comments: “We may expect that everything will be brought in and mingled with sound doctrine, but by clear, spiritual discernment, by the heavenly anointing, we must distinguish the sacred from the common which is being brought in to confuse faith and sound judgment and dermerit the great, grand testing truth of this time. Never, never was there a time when the truth will suffer more from being misrepresented, belittled, demerited through the perverse disputings of men than in these last days.
“Yet there is one ray of hope: his compassion never ends. It is only the Lord’s mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his lovingkindness begins afresh each day” (Lamentations 3:21-23).